Journey to China

This blog documents the Spitlers' progress towards the adoption of Xia Ping He (Noah Spitler) from the PR China. It also documents Noah's medical process in pursuit of a total repair to his CHD (congenital heart defect).

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Medicine, a Trip to the Library and Card Games

The day started with a trip to the library that is located at the hospital. Vivian, who works in the library, speaks Mandarin. She is the one who is going through the book, "The Cat in the Hat", with Noah. The book is written in English and Chinese. She has done some great things with Noah and it has been wonderful to see. She is so energetic and really keeps his attention. I am going to try and take Noah at least twice a week to see her. We then went back to RMH and had a nice barbecue lunch that was brought in complements of Wells Fargo. It was very good and Noah did a good job of eating.
We are still getting all eight of our medications: two by IV, five by mouth and one is a patch that I have to change once a week. The schedule is grueling at night. It is easier for me now that I am a little more used to the routine but the problem is the timing. It is fine to hook them up but trying to go back to sleep for 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there is crazy. After those times I have to unhook his line and then flush them. That is what is so bad about it all. Just trying to be awake enough to do it all throws off most of my night sleeping. Luckily today I got a good nap so thus the reason I am able to stay awake enough to post. Please continue to pray for me to sleep. I am still having problems falling asleep. My mind seems to be going a million miles an hour. I just can't turn it off enough to get good sleep. Sorry for the complaining but that is one of my biggest needs right now.
Tonight was fun. We had several people bring in different kinds of soup, salad and bread for dinner. It was very good and was a big blessing. They do this once a week but I have not been around for it because I was always at the hospital. Now Noah and I get to enjoy some of the wonderful food that many businesses and organizations bring in for all the families at RMH. After dinner Noah and I played cards with our friend Kalmia. She is a delightful girl that we have fallen in love with. She too is an outpatient and I ask you all to pray for her too. She, just like us, desperately wants to get well enough to go home. Please pray that her health will improve and that she will be able to do so. We have met so many wonderful people while here at RMH. The staff is so great and we have had a great experience here. I encourage you all to check out ways you may contribute to a RMH in your area. The families who stay there are so grateful for what the community does for them. It is a super organization and has made a difference in our life. I will add a few pictures of the RMH here in California so you can see what it is like.

I will add some more pictures later to the above. I just realized I haven't downloaded from my camera yet and it is way too later to do that tonight......check back later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post Robin! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us. I will continue to pray for God's healing and grace.
Curt

September 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Brendon said...

Hey Robin,

I have insomnia. Trouble getting sleep, with that mind racing thing you described. I take a melatonin pill. Safe, no side affects non-narcotic..... and it works. No lingering drowsy feeling either. You might consider it. Love you guys!!! I wish we could be there to help out. But it just is not working out... We have really considered just sending one of us to help you, but circumstances have prevented that... will explain later. We really miss you all so much. I can't wait to meet Noah some day. He is one lucky kid to have you guys as parents.

September 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home